Kymira® is one of the world’s leading smart textile companies and a multi-award-winning innovator – developing products and technologies that help, change, and ultimately save people’s lives. Our goal is to save or positively impact 1,000,000 or more lives by 2030 and become a globally recognised brand, solidifying our position as the global leader in the smart garment and textile industries.
The team strive to solve and improve large societal issues and are working in partnership with leading institutions such as the European Space Agency, Innovate UK, Universities, and the NHS, to research cutting edge technologies and e-textiles. The company works within the Medical, Sport, Defence and Space verticals, across B2B and consumer markets. By blending technology with biology in perfect synergy, we are able to release and enhance human ability.
Kymira products are used by Olympic athletes, elite teams, and recreational athletes alike, even world record explorers! This is alongside Medical professionals, patients, and research institutions. Profits from sales are reinvested into new medical research, as we strive for a healthier and safer tomorrow.
As a Senior Data Scientist, you will be responsible for creating and incrementally improving data analysis modules to estimate a wide range of parameters from the biomedical data measured using KYMIRA smart garments. You will closely collaborate with our domain expert research partners in different Universities across the U.K. to develop cutting-edge data science techniques to solve the unique challenges of analysing data from garment embedded sensors.
You are expected to be comfortable in applying data science techniques such as data mining, statistical and cluster analysis to large data sets using cloud computing resources, big data frameworks and open-source packages. You will understand both the theory and have practical experience building accurate predictive models using a range of machine learning algorithms (e.g. regression, decision tree, k-means).
The successful candidate will be able to effectively communicate complex, technical information to non-technical stakeholders. The role would include on-the-job training and coaching from experienced data scientists in the team and begin a development path to becoming a future technical leader.
As a Senior Data Scientist you will be expected to assume the following key responsibilities plus any other reasonable duties as required.
- Apply scientific methods through experimental design, exploratory data analysis and hypothesis testing.
- Lead on the technical solutions for proof-of-concept projects, experiments and trials using advanced analytics and machine learning.
- Scrape, explore, cleanse and visualise big datasets using leading tools and technologies.
- Engineer new features from raw biomedical data.
- Demonstrate best practice programming and code optimisation using Python.
- Develop predictive and prescriptive models which utilise supervised or unsupervised machine learning algorithms.
- Document and communicate findings from analysis to key stakeholders within the organisation.
- Contribute to the wider Customer Data Science community by sharing knowledge, experience ideas and findings.
- Continually develop technical capabilities through on-the-job coaching and mentorship from more experienced data scientists in the team
- Drive the software development forward by ensuring that all decisions affecting end-users meet the company standards, deliver the desired outcomes and provide end-users with the ability to make informed choices.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Strong understanding of applied maths, statistics, data mining techniques and algorithms.
- Good programming knowledge in SQL, Python or other advanced programming languages.
- Familiarity with the Microsoft Azure Platform.
- Skilled in extracting, transforming, wrangling and cleansing large datasets for the purposes of data analysis.
- Proven work experience in designing and building accurate predictive and prescriptive models.
- Skilled in applying appropriate machine learning algorithms across a range of problems.
- Skilled in creating compelling data visualisation to communicate complex analytical findings.
- Ability to inform and influence, and to drive awareness of the benefits of data analytics.
- Able to effectively communicate complex, technical information to non-technical stakeholders.
- Able to proactively identify opportunities for data analysis to create value.
- Analytical mind-set with positive attitude to problem solving.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability and flexibility to work in a fast paced and demanding environment.
- Transparent and open in their approach and willing to continually improve through acting on constructive feedback.
- Critical thinker who is willing to use evidence to challenge prevailing systems and processes.
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Highly experienced with cloud computing environments.
- Experience in cutting edge analytical techniques including deep learning algorithms, neural networks and natural language processing.
- Experience in developing medical grade software that are compliant to international standards (e.g. IEC 62304, ISO 13485).
- Ability to implement novel analytical techniques.
- Experience of agile working practices and managing agile projects (Scrum).
- Open minded and flexible approach to problem solving – questions currently accepted approaches.
Remuneration and Benefits
- Starting salary £40,000 – £50,000 (dependent on skills and experience)
- Annual Budget for formal training and development
- Lucrative stock options
- Flexible working hours, with remote working available
- Casual environment
- Start Date: As soon as possible.
- Place of work: Reading, RG1 with remote working options available.
- Open to Candidates outside the UK
- Contact Soma for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Posted 14th May 2021. Application closing date 11th June 2021