Kymira® is one of the world’s leading smart textile companies and a multi-award-winning innovator – developing products and technologies that help, change, and ultimately save people’s lives. Our goal is to save or positively impact 1,000,000 or more lives by 2030 and become a globally recognised brand, solidifying our position as the global leader in the smart garment and textile industries.
The team strive to solve and improve large societal issues and are working in partnership with leading institutions such as the European Space Agency, Innovate UK, Universities, and the NHS, to research cutting edge technologies and e-textiles. The company works within the Medical, Sport, Defence and Space verticals, across B2B and consumer markets. By blending technology with biology in perfect synergy, we are able to release and enhance human ability.
Kymira products are used by Olympic athletes, elite teams, and recreational athletes alike, even world record explorers! This is alongside Medical professionals, patients, and research institutions. Profits from sales are reinvested into new medical research, as we strive for a healthier and safer tomorrow.
As Senior Backend Web Developer, you will be responsible for building and maintaining the backend and cloud infrastructure for KYMIRA’s web applications. You will work within a multidisciplinary team of engineers to ensure that the data collected by our cutting-edge sensors is efficiently and reliably served to our various web frontends to ensure a good user experience.
To be successful in this role you will be a confident and competent backend engineer with ample experience in low latency applications with high data volumes. You will be a good communicator and share your expertise with the web development and management teams, acting as the in-house expert in all things web. You will also be proactive in your approach to backend design, researching new technologies and proposing improvements to KYMIRA’s web and cloud infrastructures. From our side, we will assist and encourage your research and skill development by providing you with formal training as required.
As the resident expert, it will be your responsibility to communicate with our external web development partners to ensure the activities carried out by our in-house and external teams are aligned. You will also be a mentor to the web development team, providing support where appropriate and voicing the team’s concerns if necessary. We would also expect you to take part in the recruitment process and onboarding for new hires in the web development team as it grows.
As a Senior Backend Web Developer, you will be expected to assume the following key responsibilities plus any other reasonable duties as required:
- Building and maintaining the backend for KYMIRA web applications.
- Troubleshooting and debugging web applications.
- Liaising with external partners, both consultants and clients, to ensure delivery of the complete stack.
- Managing hosting environments.
- Developing and maintaining automatic testing pipelines.
- Conducting QA and pre-delivery testing on web applications.
- Keeping up with new developments in Web technology.
- Collaborating with Cybersecurity/IT engineer to keep the general KYMIRA web environments secure.
- Maintaining the KYMIRA electronics laboratory, flagging up any issues with our equipment and making recommendations on new tools or instruments.
- Providing training, help and support to other team members.
- Providing informed feasibility assessments to management on new opportunities.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Similar.
- Understanding of Web Services and Web API e.g. (SOAP, RESTful, RPC).
- Proficient with at least one back-end programming language.
- Demonstrable experience with Git.
- Understanding of user authentication and authorisation between multiple systems and environments.
- Integration of multiple data sources and databases into one system.
- Management of hosting environment, including database administration and application scaling.
- Implementation of automated testing platforms and unit tests.
- Demonstrable experience in commercial web projects.
- Demonstrable experience in a technical leadership role.
- Strong problem solving and verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent project and time management skills.
- Experience working in an Agile development environment.
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Familiarity with the Microsoft Azure platform and cloud services.
- Experience working to ISO security standards.
- Experience working to medical device standards.
- Experience with serverless applications (ideally Azure Function Apps)
- Experience in commercial IoT-related web applications.
- Experience building CI/CD pipelines.
Remuneration and Benefits
- Starting salary £50,000 – £60,000.
- Annual Budget for formal training and development
- Lucrative stock options
- Flexible working hours, with remote working available
- Casual environment
- Start Date: As soon as possible.
- Place of work: Reading, RG1 with remote working options available.
- Open to Candidates outside the UK
- Contact Karl for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Posted 14th May 2021. Application closing date 11th June 2021