Kymira® is one of the world’s leading smart textile companies and a multi-award-winning innovator – developing products and technologies that help, change, and ultimately save people’s lives. Our goal is to save or positively impact 1,000,000 or more lives by 2030 and become a globally recognised brand, solidifying our position as the global leader in the smart garment and textile industries.
The team strive to solve and improve large societal issues and are working in partnership with leading institutions such as the European Space Agency, Innovate UK, Universities, and the NHS, to research cutting edge technologies and e-textiles. The company works within the Medical, Sport, Defence and Space verticals, across B2B and consumer markets. By blending technology with biology in perfect synergy, we are able to release and enhance human ability.
Kymira products are used by Olympic athletes, elite teams, and recreational athletes alike, even world record explorers! This is alongside Medical professionals, patients, and research institutions. Profits from sales are reinvested into new medical research, as we strive for a healthier and safer tomorrow.
As Research & Prototyping Engineer, you will be working on the most cutting-edge projects KYMIRA has to offer. As new product ideas are generated and opportunities arise, you will be responsible for building proof-of-concept prototypes to demonstrate the viability of these ideas both within the company and to our external partners and investors.
To be successful in this role, we would expect you to be an engineering swiss-army-knife who is equally at home soldering components on a PCB, setting up a web server on a Raspberry Pi, or programming a servomotor controller on an STM microcontroller. Ideally you would be proficient in embedded C and Python and familiar with at least one rapid-prototyping platform but being familiar with more platforms/languages is a definite plus. A willingness and ability to learn more is even better, and we will provide you with the necessary on-the-job training and coaching to support that learning.
The projects you will be working on will typically last 3-4 months from requirements definition to first prototypes. You will be expected to produce demonstrator prototypes, not market-ready products, so an ability to quickly identify and prioritise essential features is a must. A “big-picture” attitude and keen problem-solving mind will be of great use as you will have freedom to choose the most suitable tools and methods for the job on each project.
As a Research & Prototyping Engineer, you will be expected to assume the following key responsibilities plus any other reasonable duties as required:
- Planning and time-boxing the prototype development process based on business requirements and available resources.
- Designing and assembling prototype PCBs.
- Developing firmware for prototype PCBs.
- Rapid prototyping phone applications and web interfaces.
- Preparing demonstrator prototypes.
- Undertaking or outsourcing any other technical tasks required for prototype production.
- Conducting research into the feasibility of new technologies and products.
- Producing high quality reports to inform management decisions regarding new technologies.
- Supporting the development team.
Minimum Skills and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or Similar.
- Demonstrable experience in at least one high-level programming language
- Demonstrable experience in at least one low-level/embedded programming language
- Demonstrable experience in PCB design
- Familiarity with Raspberry Pi/Arduino or similar
- Hands-on electronics skills (soldering, crimping etc)
- Good problem-solving skills
- Ability to think at a whole-project level
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and demanding environment
- Ability to effectively plan and prioritise features
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Experience in more programming languages is a plus
- Experience with MCU technologies (STM, PIC etc.)
- Experience working in an Agile environment
Remuneration and Benefits
- Starting salary £35,000 – £50,000 depending on skill and experience.
- Annual Budget for formal training and development
- Lucrative stock options
- Flexible working hours, with remote working available
- Casual environment
- Start Date: As soon as possible.
- Place of work: Reading, RG1.
- Open to Candidates outside the UK
- Contact Toju for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Posted 14th May 2021. Application closing date 11th June 2021