Kymira® is one of the world’s leading smart textile companies and a multi-award-winning innovator – developing products and technologies that help, change, and ultimately save people’s lives. Our goal is to save or positively impact 1,000,000 or more lives by 2030 and become a globally recognised brand, solidifying our position as the global leader in the smart garment and textile industries.
Kymira products are used by Olympic athletes, elite teams, and recreational athletes alike, even world record explorers! This is alongside medical professionals, patients, and research institutions. Profits from sales are reinvested into new medical research, as we strive for a healthier and safer tomorrow.
The Junior Garment Technologist will be responsible for supporting the Product & Operations team with the entire product life cycle of both commercial and e-textile collections. The candidate will need to have knowledge of sportswear/knit fabrics and are confident creating patterns (where necessary), measurement charts and communicating fit, construction, and grading comments with factories for all areas of sampling and production (both written and verbal). The role involves the ability to own the fitting of the products and may involve some in-house sewing to trial fits for smart textiles projects.
This role gives great opportunity to the right candidate to work on our Infrared Sportswear and the most cutting-edge projects KYMIRA has to offer. It’s the perfect fusion of working on traditional sportswear and the future of wearable clothing.
We are a talented collective of individuals with diverse personalities and expertise. It is one of the only apparel companies where you will work with both a commercial and electronics team. we embrace our entrepreneurial spirit and geeky love for sportswear and science to create unique products that help to impact peoples lives. If you are interested in working for a company that is fast growing, will push you to achieve goal orientated skills and has a causal culture then come join us.
- Developing product from initial design handover, using your expertise to utilise forthcoming technical advances and keep ahead of our competition.
- Responsible for helping the whole sampling process, proto, PPS and shipment samples in collaboration with Design/production exec.
- Measuring & conducting fit sessions in-house with Design and Sourcing lead, making commercial decisions with confidence; owning the fitting process and inspiring trust and confidence from colleagues and suppliers.
- Develop new & achieve current fit blocks, initial and graded size specifications.
- Liaising with Design & Sourcing lead, production exec & suppliers to communicate fit comments, offer technical guidance on new & existing products with the aim of reducing costs & improving quality.
- QC check bulk production. Raise any issues with production/factories and check bulk if there is a widespread problem.
- Arrange for garment, print, or trim testing wherever necessary.
- Keeping the samples organized and archiving on a weekly basis.
- Creation/ management of product standards and manuals.
- Ensuring compliance with fibre composition labelling regulations, product safety & REACH legislation; assessing risk, managing relevant testing; recording & resolving non-compliance effectively and efficiently
- Contributing to initiatives to reduce customer returns: analysing reviews & implementing solutions.
- Providing support to the R&D electronics team to help create patterns/prototypes when needed.
Minimum Skills and Experience
- A technically oriented qualification, preferably at degree level, is essential, as is a minimum of 2 years’ experience of a similar role in a fast-paced environment
- Sportswear and experience with stretch fabrics required multi-product experience is desirable; able to move between product areas with assurance.
- Experience of working directly with factories, and thorough understanding of factory production, including workflow, production control, machinery, and equipment
- Pattern-cutting knowledge and practise is very desirable; able to sew toiles if needed, knowledge of grading and grade rules
- Thorough understanding of garment construction, fabric technology & testing
- First-class communication skills: experience of working with different cultures and the challenges this can bring, able to work both independently and as part of a team, as the role requires.
- Confident using Outlook, Excel & Word; keen to expand skill set as the role demands.
Remuneration and Benefits
- Starting salary £20,000 – £23,000 depending on skill and experience.
- Employee options scheme.
- New starter credit and staff discounts on our products.
- 28 days’ annual leave, plus your birthday off!
- Start Date: As soon as possible.
- Place of work: Reading, RG1.
- Send your CV to email@example.com